Pages

Sunday 8 April 2012

Papier Mache & Paper Pulp Skittles

Today is Easter.  We have made chocolate eggs, but I'm leaving that for Briar to record.  I instead will reveal the secrets behind making skittles.  They are once again a recycling project, using plastic soda bottles, old newspapers, wallpaper paste and leftover acrylic test paint pots.

Firstly tear a lot of newspaper into strips,and put two thirds of it into a bucket and soak in hot water with a little wallpaper paste.

Dip the rest of the strips into paste and smooth over the plastic bottle until bottle is completely covered in at least one layer of paper.

Meanwhile the strips in the bucket should have soaked long enough by now.  Put small batches in a blender together with lots of water (enough water so the blades can still spin easily). Tip each batch into a new bucket or large bowl until all strips have been pulped.  Then strain excess water through a sieve.  Again do this in handful sized batches to keep it manageable.  Once you have drained most of the water add a little more wallpaper paste and you now have mouldable paper pulp. This paper pulp process is lots of fun for kids to help out with.  It's lovely and messy.  You can give them a bit at the end to mould for themselves. 

Mould pulp directly on the papier mache into whatever shapes or patterns you choose.  Mould some into a ball shape and press onto the top of the bottle.  Make sure the ball tucks completely around the lip of the bottle.  When it dries, it will contract and be completely stuck on.

Leave enough pulp at the end to roll into a ball.  The ball needs to be big enough that it can't be swallowed by babies, but small enough to fit in children's hands.  And leave it all to dry.  Drying is in terms of days not hours. 

My helter-skelter skittle

Once completely dry, paint with your leftover test pot paint.  This should mean paint is fairly durable.  Again, as you are painting the whole thing, you can easily include a pint sized assistant in the process.  Any embellishments you can do yourself, depending on what level of finish you're after.  Don't forget though that these are children's toys and small children at that.  The skittles are going to get the bash.  Put your painted masterpieces on the wall instead.

I think they look quite decadent with the gold.  I really like the lumpy sort of  texture that you get once paper pulp has dried.  However, if you don't it is easily sanded.  (I say easily, but I hate sanding).

I gave a set of three skittles to my gorgeous godson Elliot.  I hope he's enjoyed them.  I think Elias got some too.  I still haven't got around to making any for my boys.  My attention wanders too quickly onto new ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment