Pages

Friday 27 April 2012

Paper Doll Fail

I was inspired to make my own paper dolls from a book I got out of the library: Collage couture : techniques for creating fashionable art by Julie Nutting.  It seemed effortless (well it is when you are just flicking through her book).

Anyway, I had the brilliant idea of making a paper doll for Haeata's birthday.  After a lot of trial and error I eventually got to the point where I could start gluing on her singlet etc.  And it took a couple of tries to cut even that near enough to right.  So by the time I'm varnishing the doll, I've pretty much had enough.  Then the varnish decides to start cracking (because I put it on too thick to try to save time).  Well that's it.  Haeata got a painting instead.  Much easier.

Luckily I didn't persevere, because one of her gifts was a very cute magnetic paper doll with magnetic clothes.  You probably know the type.  They come in various incarnations.  A friend of mine has the statue David on her fridge.

I am going to stick to buying paper dolls that come in books - and ones that have perforated edges too.  I think DIY paper dolls are really just for super keen aficionados.

DOWNLOAD FILE Here is PDF pattern for my doll.

No comments:

Post a Comment