Pages

Monday 2 April 2012

Fabric Wrapped Boxes

One of my new year resolutions was to reduce clutter.  I decided that I have to use all the fabric I currently have (except for any specific immediate projects). No more stockpiling or hoarding.  I also need to organise my current clutter and knick-knack keepsakes that for whatever reason I find impossible to get rid of.  Therefore when my sister-in-law had a pile of shoe boxes to throw out I reneged on my resolution.  However, it was all part of the master plan in a roundabout way.  And so is this introduction.

I chose two shoe boxes to stack.  One slightly smaller to stack on top. 

Paint out any text that might show through the fabric.
Very badly trimmed excess.  I ended up finishing the edges with masking tape.  It's the inside.  No one is going to notice, unless you're making it as a gift and then I suppose you could line inside with fabric too.
I put box on my chosen fabric and cut enough of an allowance around it to go up the sides and a bit over the edge (just as if you are gift wrapping something).  I used spray adhesive on the box and wrapped fabric around box.  Trim excess inside and then tape down edges to neaten.

Same goes for the lid.  Maybe try lid first as it's smaller and a bit easier as sides are shorter. Also remember that the added thickness of fabric over the box will make the lid a much tighter fit.  So choose boxes with a generous lid.  If it's already tight fitting it will be too tight.

I only used two boxes because that's all I had enough fabric for.  I have a third smaller box, and just need to choose maybe a plain red or blue fabric to complete the set.

My lovely Japanese fabric that was too annoying to sew into clothing was perfect for covering a box.  Now I get to admire it all the time and my dressing table clutter can disappear.








No comments:

Post a Comment