Pages

Sunday 1 April 2012

Framed Wallpaper

 I was invited to my step-niece's 21st birthday.  It was a girls-only party with a high tea theme.  She even borrowed her great-grandmothers teacup sets for the occasion.  It was a really lovely afternoon and evening with her gorgeous friends and all the women in her family.  I decided to make her a framed picture of a tea cup using wallpaper.  I attached the pieces by sewing them together.   And it was for all the guests to sign the back of it.  (Much like people do with those wooden 21st keys, but a more dainty version).  I used a sheet of acetate to protect the wallpaper instead of glass, but next time think I will skip any protection altogether.  Wallpaper is designed to be durable after all.

Here are some versions I have done for myself and another friend, but just using one piece of wallpaper as the patterns are detailed enough to admire for themselves.
Wallpaper I bought from a garage sale. 

 




Wallpaper from a roll we found in a cupboard when we moved in to our house.

Wallpaper from a sample book.
All these wallpaper frames are upcycled obects.  I have used old frames that we no longer use or ones from charity shops and I spray paint them white.  Same goes for all the wallpaper.  I recommend going to local paint shops and seeing if they have any old sample books lying around.  The papers in those will keep you going for years.  I got 5 sample books about 15 years ago and am still using them for projects.  Some of the patterns have come back into fashion now!

No comments:

Post a Comment