Pages

Monday 7 May 2012

Ultimate Baby Wrap

I was given a lovely merino baby wrap.  It is the best wrap I have ever used.  So of course I had to copy it and amend slightly to improve it...

The short arm just needs to be long enough to come over front of baby.  It's the left flap that needs to be super long so that you can get it all the way around.  Keeps new born totally snug because of the pocket.  No feet coming out and no escaping.
My improvements were: lots of pattern and colour.  I am over the pale blue/pale pink range that blankets seem to come in.  Also as my second baby was a summer boy, I made it in a stretch cotton instead.  I have also gradually made the long wing as long as material allows.  Good to buy extra wide bolt of cloth.  120cm+ is good.

You don't need a pattern.  Make it as long as baby is from toe to chin.  So 40cm from bottom to top or thereabouts.  And one wing needs to be long enough to go all the way around baby.  They're angled so they come under chin easily.  Pocket is just cut to match back.

I make my own binding too.  Cut 5cm strips.  Sew ends together until you have about 4m length.  Fold under two sides to almost meet in middle.  Iron as you go.

Sew a length of binding on the front pocket first.  I always pin first.  Used to not bother but it never saved me time and caused all sorts of mayhem.

Next pin pocket onto wrap.  (wrong sides together - what you see is what you sew).  Then sew binding all the way around.  As you near the end, tuck ends underneath themselves and sew over. 

In this case, I sewed the end so it didn't come untucked and also basted the binding rather than pin.  The fabric at this point gets a bit bulky and pins tend to get in the way.
Now for wrapping instructions:


Should be easy to follow from pics, but send a message if you have a problem.

I have made LOTS of these.  They are very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment